Pet Insurance in New York City
Owning a pet is a big responsibility and one that can often come at a high cost. New York City is a large city where the cost of living can be very expensive. Pet owners often find that pet insurance may cost a little more in the Big Apple than in other areas but are often more than worth the cost. Pet insurance can mean the difference in keeping your pet alive and healthy.
What Pet Life is Like in NYC
When we think of getting a dog or cat, we typically picture them running free through the fields or in our back yards. While NYC might not appear to be the most pet-friendly place in the world, there is a lot you can do with your pet. There are many dog parks throughout NYC, and many of them allow dogs to run freely without a leash if it’s before 9 a.m. or after 9 p.m. There are also certain laws regarding dogs.
- They must be on a leash when out, and the leash cannot be longer than six feet.
- They cannot be tied up for more than three hours during a 12-hour period.
- They must be licensed and current with their rabies shots.
- Their dog license tag must be on their collar at all times.
- Dogs are allowed on buses and subways but must be in a carrier.
- Dogs are allowed in taxis if it’s OK with the driver.
Most Popular Pets in NYC
Although dogs are usually what come to mind when we think of pets, dogs are not the most popular pet in the state of New York. Surprisingly enough, hamsters are the most popular pet in the state of New York. However, dogs are still very popular pets in NYC. While there are more than a million pets in New York, more than 600,000 of these pets are dogs.
With NYC being such a large city, you’re going to see many different dog breeds. However, some dog breeds are more popular than others in NYC are. For whatever reason, the French Bulldog (Frenchie) has held the number spot in NYC for more than just one year. It’s consistently right there up on top. Below are the top ten most popular dogs in NYC according to a 2018 ranking by the American Kennel Club.
- French Bulldog
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
- German Shepherd
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Yorkshire Terrier
Pet-Friendly Things in NYC
Despite NYC not being a city you would think of to live with your dog or bring your dog to, there are many pet-friendly places and things to do in NYC.
- Central Park – Offers hundreds of acres for dogs to run around and off-leash hours.
- Central Park Paws – Offers organized hound hunts and get-togethers for owners
- Boat Basin Café – This waterfront spot on the Upper West Side offers areas for dogs.
- Barking Dog – This restaurant not only welcomes dogs but also has a doggie water fountain.
- Sirius Dog Run – This place offers a dog run as well as a pond for pets to splash in.
Dog owners looking for pet-friendly employers may want to check into:
- Big Spaceship
Cost of Vet Care in NYC or the Boroughs
While it may cost a small amount to own a pet in some cities, this is not the case in NYC because NYC is one of the most expensive places in the world for many things, and pet ownership is one of them. The cost of vet care can vary from one place to another and will vary by dog breed or if it’s a cat or dog, but average costs include:
- Sterilization – $500
- Food – $125 to $150
- Yearly checkup – $100
- Annual immunizations – $100 to $200
- Dog walker – $30 per hour if you have to hire someone to walk the dog once a day Monday through Friday. This can add up to $7,000 or more annually and is usually the most expensive part of dog ownership in NYC.
- Training – $250 or more
Pet insurance is a great way for pet owners to ensure they can afford to provide their pets with good vet care when needed. Here are some sample quotes for pet insurance on a French Bulldog, Labrador Retriever, and a cat in NYC. The first quotes are through Pets Best Pet Insurance and the second group of quotes is through Figo Pet Insurance. The quote is based on a four-year-old for a policy that has $500 deductible, 80% reimbursement, and unlimited annual payouts.
- French Bulldog – $87.67 per month
- Labrador Retriever – $58.01
- Cat – $21.04
- French Bulldog – $90.15 per month
- Labrador Retriever – $64.22
- Cat – $26.07
Low-Income Pet Help in NYC
NYC offers various types of low-income pet help to pet owners. While some may help pay for the cost of spaying/neutering, others may offer assistance in paying for pet food and routine veterinary services.
- Healthy Pets Projects of NYC – This organization offers help to pet owners in a crisis so they can keep their pets at home rather than surrender them to a shelter. They offer reduced spaying/neutering services as well as food packages to pet owners in the area.
- ASPCA Animal Hospital in NYC – The offer lifesaving care to pets who have been victims of neglect and cruelty as well as assistance to dog and cat owners who are experiencing financial difficulties.
- Low-cost Vet Mobile – They offer veterinary services at reduced costs to help NYC pet owners provide their pets with necessary veterinary care.
- Humane Society of New York – They offer a wide variety of veterinary services to pet owners at a reduced cost to help them keep their pets healthy. They coffer routine exams; sterilization; x-rays; blood tests; vaccinations and more.
- Vet-I-Care – They offer financial assistance to pet owners in need of veterinary services for their pets.
With the Covid-19 threat and the stay-at-home bans, NYC pet owners are finding it a little more difficult to provide the fresh air and exercise their dog may be accustomed to, but this is improving a little each week.