Pet Insurance in New Jersey
Pet Laws in New Jersey
Whether dogs and cats reside in New Jersey or come to visit The Garden State, they have to follow the New Jersey pet laws and statues.
- Cats and dogs must be current with rabies vaccinations and boosters.
- All dogs at least 7 months of age must have a current dog license and wear it on a collar.
- Dog owner is liable if dog bites someone that is on public property or legally on private property.
- Dogs are not allowed to run at large but must be on a leash at all times.
Pet-Friendly Things/Places in New Jersey
New Jersey is not just a state that offers many fun attractions and interesting sites to couples and families. It’s also a state where dogs can go to have a good time and be part of the family fun. There are many pet-friendly places to go and things to do in New Jersey. Whether you’re looking for hiking trails, beaches, eating establishments or places to stay, you’re sure to find more than enough from which to choose in New Jersey. Here are a few worth mentioning.
- Fairview Farm Wildlife Preserve in Bedminster, NJ – This dog-friendly park has a nice trail for dogs on a leash. There are no picnic tables but plenty of open space for dog and owner.
- Great Falls National Park in Paterson, NJ – This 89-acre dog-friendly park has trails and a huge waterfall. Dog must be leashed and are not allowed in the buildings.
- Thompson Park Off-Leash Dog Area in Lincroft, NJ – This outdoor piece of dog paradise offers separate places for small and large dogs and allows them to run around off or on leash.
- Camp Taylor Camp Ground in Columbia, NJ –This campground has tons of amenities and allows up to two dogs per campsite.
- Engleside Inn in Beach Haven, NJ – This hotel, located on the beach is a dog-friendly place available from September through May
New Jersey Veterinary Costs
The cost to take good care of your dog or cat always seems to be higher than we’d like to pay. In many cases, the cost of veterinary care can be higher than for human medical care. However, the cost for a routine annual visit or wellness check is a drop in the bucket compared to what you’d have to pay if your dog was seriously injured or developed a serious illness. The average veterinary costs for the New Jersey area about $1,400 annually.
A simple surgery can cost thousands of dollars. Fortunately, pet insurance is available to pay for a large portion of the bill. Depending on the plan, the pet insurance could pay from anywhere from 50% to 90% of the veterinary expenses with you only paying a deductible and possible co-payment.
City/Monthly Cost for Pet Insurance in New Jersey
The monthly cost for pet insurance in New Jersey may range from area to area, but it’s generally very similar. A survey of five major cities in New Jersey indicates that the monthly premiums were different based on a quick look at different zip codes. These monthly amounts are for a policy that pays 80% for a no maximum payout in expenses with a $250 deductible. It’s based on a 4-year old medium-sized mixed breed dog. We did these quotes through Healthy Paws, which only has one plan option.
Low-Income Pet Help in New Jersey
New Jersey has many organizations that offer low-cost veterinary services to pet owners who have difficulty paying for emergency veterinary care. Some of the groups assist low-income pet owners while others offer special services to all pet owners. Here is a list of a few of the New Jersey organizations dedicated to helping pet owners.
Animal Welfare Association – offers low-cost spay/neuter services to low-income pet owners
Spay & Neuter Service of New Jersey – offers low-cost sterilization to low-income pet owners
Union City Animal Clinic – offers affordable veterinary care to pets at lower cost than other vet clinics
Animal Alliance – offers low-cost wellness checks, vaccinations, sterilization services and pet food/supplies to pet owners in New Jersey
One Step Closer Animal Rescue – It’s a pet food bank that also offers low-cost spay/neuter services
Companion Animal Advocates – offers affordable pet food, spay/neuter services and rehoming assistance
PetPALS of Southern New Jersey – offers vet car assistance to disabled, elderly and sick pet owners