Spot Pet Insurance Review
About Spot Pet Insurance
Underwriter: United States Fire Insurance Company
Rating: The Crum and Forster Group is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best Company
When an unexpected accident or illness happens, pet owners often find that they’re unable to provide their pet with the proper medical care despite their good intentions. This can be avoided by having a good pet insurance policy like Spot Pet Insurance in place. With renowned animal chairman Cesar Millan as it’s spokesperson, and the strong backing of the Crum and Forster group of brands, this Florida pet insurance company offers a well-rounded product to pet parents.
Spot Pet Insurance is an easy way to ensure you can provide your pet with the proper veterinary care when it needs it most. There’s nothing difficult about using Spot either. You visit your vet, submit the claim and wait for the reimbursement. You can choose the amount of coverage you want and customize the plan to meet your pet’s needs and your budget.
Coverage and Sample Quote
Spot Pet Insurance covers a multitude of both accident- and illness-related veterinary expenses.
- Surgery and hospitalization
- FDA-approved prescription medication
- Prescription food used for treating a covered condition
- X-rays and similar imaging
- End of life expenses
- Cancer treatment
- Medical treatment to cover illness caused by a covered accident
- Alternative therapy
- Intravenous fluids and medications
- Tooth extractions
- Poison control consultations
- Medical supplies
- Supplements used to treat a covered condition
- Behavioral treatment
- Microchip implantation
- Stem cell therapy
One of the things that pet owners like most about Spot Pet Insurance besides its excellent coverage is the various different options it offers. You can customize the annual limit, deductible and the reimbursement amount. You also have the option of choosing Accident-Only coverage, Spot-On coverage or adding on a Preventive Care rider.
Spot-On Coverage pays for expenses related to an illness resulting from a covered accident. Pet owners can also buy coverage for hereditary conditions or behavioral issues. The premium you’re required to pay depends on the type of coverage you’ve chosen. Here are some sample quotes based on different policies.
Spot Pet Insurance offers a Standard policy on a 2-year old female German shepherd dog. This policy has a $5,000 annual limit, an 80% reimbursement amount and a $250 annual deductible. The premium for this policy is $23.53. Choosing an Accident-only policy with the same variables would require a monthly premium of $11.50. This Standard policy on the same dog with a $15,000 annual limit, 90% reimbursement amount and $100 annual deductible would be $74.80.
Standard policy on a 5-year old male mixed breed dog would cost about $24.67. This is based on a $5,000 annual limit, an 80% reimbursement amount and a $250 annual deductible. Accident-only coverage on this same dog is $11.50.
Spot Pet Insurance also offers pet insurance on cats. Standard policy on a 3-year old, female mixed breed cat with a $5,000 annual limit, 80% reimbursement amount and $250 annual deductible would cost about $8.93. A premium policy with an unlimited annual limit, 90% reimbursement amount and a $100 annual deductible would cost about $38.23.
Spot Pet Insurance offers the Standard policy, which is the favorite of most pet owners, but you can also add on a Preventive Care or Wellness policy for a few dollars more.
Although Spot Pet Insurance does cover many veterinary services, some things are not covered. Here is a list of some of the exclusions.
- Cosmetic services
- Dental or aesthetic services
- Anal sac gland expression
- Breeding, nursing or whelping fees
- Experimental medications or treatment
- Conditions that happen during the waiting period
- Injuries or illness stemming from intentional negligence
- House calls or travel-related expenses to and from the vet’s office or hospital
- Non-medical supplies (leashes, toys or training aids)
- Veterinary services related to personal protection, organized fighting or coursing
- Vitamins and supplements used for general health maintenance or preventive care
- Prescription food used for general health maintenance or preventive care
- Preventive care
- Pre-existing conditions occurring prior to the policy’s effective date
There is also a 14-day waiting period for treatment for illnesses covered under the policies.
Pet owners must pay a deductible amount regardless of the policy they choose. The deductible is the amount that the owner must pay before the pet insurance pays. Unlike many pet insurance companies that require pet owners to meet the deductible with each claim, Spot Pet Insurance only requires the deductible to be paid once per year.
The higher the deductible, the lower the premium will be. Pet owners can customize their deductibles to meet their budgets. Deductible options are generally $100, $250 or $500. They can also customize the reimbursement amount by choosing from 70% to 100%.
Submitting a claim is easy, and it can be done online. All you have to do is take a picture of the veterinarian’s bill and upload it to the Spot Pet Insurance website under the Claims section. If you want to submit your pet’s medical records to speed up the process, you can do so, but it’s not required. Unlike some pet insurance companies that require you to submit the claim within a month or so, Spot Pet Insurance gives you up to 9 months after the treatment date to submit your claim. Spot claims their reimbursement is very fast, but there are not enough consumer reviews yet to support this claim.
Spot Pet Insurance has many special features that cannot be found in other pet insurance companies.
- They do not have any upper age limit and will cover the pet once it is eight weeks old.
- There are no lifetime caps or incident limits.
- Pet owners get a 10% discount for each additional pet that is added to the policy.
- There is no enrollment period so pet owners can purchase a policy at any time.
- Spot Pet Insurance offers a 30-day money back guarantee if the pet owner is not satisfied for any reason.
- Pet owners can use any veterinarian in the United States.